Sunday, August 23, 2009

I Heart Heels Interview

Check out my interview with I Heart Heels.com!


IHH: What first got you into fashion—and how did you become interested in styling?
MR: I was always into styling my friends as a kid and I never knew I had a talent for it. I always would tell them what to wear to school the night before. I believe I was in 3rd grade when I started doing that. I would lay out my mom's clothes for her on what to wear to work and if she didn't wear it, I would get upset with her. Looking back I was not a normal child. Haha.

When I moved to Los Angeles in 2001 I started working in a boutique on Robertson Blvd. I worked with a great mentor who taught me about clienteling and how important costumer service was. She taught me so much in selling customer needs and soon I was working with celebrity stylists that would come into shop for their clients and TV shows. I studied them like a book and that is when I decided I wanted to be a stylist. I didn't know where to start or how I was going to make it happen I just knew that is what I wanted to do and I was going to make it happen. I was determined.


IHH: Is there another stylist in the industry you adore?

MR: Rachel Zoe hands down. I adore her! Her book has taught me a lot of tricks I use now. I also love Rhianna's stylist Mariel Haenn. She always takes it to another level, which every stylist can appreciate because I can imagine the preparation and hard work she puts into her jobs.

IHH: Where does your inspiration come from?
MR: I get inspired from everything!! Whether it's street style, editorials, or even rock gods like Axl Rose and David Bowie, I seriously pull inspiration from everything. I need to be inspired to create!

IHH: What's it like working with the girls of E!? Do they ever help you pick out their wardrobes?
MR: Catt and Debbie are great to work with! We've become like family. They definitely have input in what they wear. It's so important for them to own their look, so I would never even try to put them in something they weren't 100% in love with. After three years, I know what they like, and they trust me and are open to any new ideas I may have.

IHH: What are three pieces a girl must never live without?
MR: A great blazer, statement bag and over-sized sunglasses.

IHH: Heels or flats?
MR: Both. But they either have to be completely flat or sky high. Anything in between is not good.

IHH: Name a few of your early fall picks.
MR: I am loving tights for fall - textured, patterned or colored. I'm especially dying over thigh-highs right now. Anything studded, gloves, accessories, leather jackets and amazing BOOTS!! I LOVE boots for fall.


IHH: What are a couple of labels you love?

MR: SO many! Alexander Wang, Elizabeth & James, Camilla and Marc, Zimmermann and Sally Tseng. But honestly, I'll wear anything. I love H&M, Topshop and Downtown LA for my cheap and chic finds.

IHH: Do you have a couple of styling “tricks” to share?
MR: Accessorizing is key. Accessories can take a boring outfit and turn it into something fab. Also, knowing your body type. Not all body types can get away with certain trends or looks, so it's good to know what works best for you.

3 comments:

  1. Love your interview and must get the Rachel Zoe book to learn some tricks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monica,
    What is the store you worked in on Roberston Blvd? I have heard that is the best way to get into styling and what im aiming to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. loved this interview. Did you study fashion at all? or was it all networking to get where you are?

    Brittney xx

    lestyleblog.blogsot.com

    ReplyDelete